Kansas Jayhawks- Non-Conference Scheduling Tackles the Big Boys
Bill Self has no qualms about scheduling the best teams in the country to prepare his team for a deep NCAA run. Last season, the Jayhawks had the toughest non-conference schedule as they scheduled six teams that advanced into the postseason. They don’t shy away from strength of schedule.
Now in the 2014-15 season they have not backed off one bit as they face some powerhouse teams like Kentucky, Florida, Utah, Temple, Georgetown and UNLV and then go on to tournaments where they could meet Michigan State, Tennessee, Georgia Teach, Rhode Island or Marquette.
What is Coach Self’s philosophy on scheduling?
“Obviously, next year’s non-conference will be very challenging. We always play a good schedule, but this past year was rated by many to be about as tough of a non-conference schedule that a team has played in years. Certainly, next year’s schedule will be one of the better non-conference schedules that anyone in America plays, as well. When you think about two teams that were in the Final Four last year with Kentucky and Florida, then you throw in the Orlando Classic, which is loaded, including Michigan State, then on the road at Georgetown and Temple along with other tough non-conference contests like Utah and UNLV, all of those will certainly prepare our guys to make another strong push at a conference championship.”
One of the tools that the NCAA Basketball Committee uses to select and seed teams is the strength of schedule which is a factor in RPI. Kansas’ RPI has checked in at No. 5 or better each of the last five seasons, including No. 1 in 2010 and 2011. The Jayhawks ended 2013-14 at No. 4 in the final RPI.
- 11/14/2014 UC Santa Barbara Lawrence, Kan.TBA
- 11/18/2014 Kentucky Indianapolis, Ind.
- 11/24/2014 Rider Lawrence, Kan.
- 11/27/2014 TBA Orlando, Fla.
- 11/28/2014 TBA Orlando, Fla.
- 11/30/2014 TBA Orlando, Fla.
- 12/5/2014 Florida Lawrence, Kan.
- 12/10/2014 Georgetown Washington, D.C.
- 12/13/2014 Utah Kansas City, Mo.
- 12/20/2014 Lafayette Lawrence, Kan.
- 12/22/2014 Temple Philadelphia. Pa.
- 12/30/2014 Kent State Lawrence, Kan.
- 1/4/2015 UNLV Lawrence, Kan.
MORE teams need to boost their RPI through Strength of Schedule.